Thursday, June 19, 2008

Bellingham or Bust!

I have not figured out how to tell the whole story publicly because I don't want to get all gossipy, and I really don't want this blog to have any bad ju-ju. So I'll try to write the Cliff's Notes version. Keep in mind that I am cramming three weeks of sleepless nights, emails, phone calls, trips to the stable, blood, sweat, tears, etc, etc into a few paragraphs. So bear with me.

It seems that the woman who sold him to us (let's call her Sybil; not her real name) may have actually believed that she was selling us beginners a fully-trained horse. Which is fine; there are days that I actually believe I am the Queen of Romulania and my shade tree produces twenties instead of fruit, and Edward Cullen will knock on my door any day now, crooked grin on his face, eyes blazing red, and say "You better hold on tight, spider monkey," and whisk me out into the starry night. And that I'll never have to wax my brows again. And that Springsteen wrote 'Born to Run' about me.

But I digress.

Bottom line: we love him madly but HE IS NOT A TRAINED HORSE.

This whole time we had been brainwashed by Little Miss Sybil into thinking it was "our fault," that "if only we were more experienced he'd be fine" -- but then all these people came to meet him and rode him, and they were like, Oh gosh no, it's totally not you; he's one-sided, and he just doesn't know basic rein and leg cues. It was that simple: he just didn't know. Not that he can't learn. But the bottom line is: it's not us -- they, with years and years of experience and way mad horse skills, all got on him and were like -- oh, so he's untrained? This coming from 4, 5, 6 people? Trainers? All with the same things happening? Yeah -- in the words of the great Robert Zimmerman: It ain't me, babe.

He is a sweet, sweet, sweet boy. A kind horse, an eager-to-learn horse, an experienced follower on trails, a greenbroke pony with a heart-o-gold. He gives the best horse hugs on the planet. Was he the right fit for beginners? Absolutely not. Did we throw away our life savings? Just about. Did I see it coming? Not at all. We were led to believe we were buying a trained horse (and if you have a bridge for sale, I'd be interested in coming to see it).

I mean: who sells a practically untrained horse to a kid and her mom? Talk about bad karma. You've got to be crazy to do something like that (yeah, crazy like a FOX).

HOWEVER. The story has a very happy ending: the MOST wonderful woman came and took him today. So he'll be living in Bellingham now, with a beautiful Arab as a pasturemate and 10 gorgeous acres as his playground, and he found himself the best human he (we) could have hoped for. She is kind, no-nonsense, strong, intuitive, gentle, honest, grounded, centered, calm, skilled, smart: all those great horseman (woman) qualities. And she is up for the task of working with Tobbi, teaching him to respond to cues instead of just following others on trails. She already worked with him a tiny bit in the arena, and he started to respond to her. It was a beautiful thing.

And then, in an act that was the polar opposite of Sybil and her crazy swinging carrot stick, crying in the rain, chaos, confusion, trial runs and excuses (and then blaming the whole brouhaha on me; it was "beacuse we were there" that he was "distracted") -- was today's trailering experience: He stepped right in. First try. Just walked in like you or I would just walk in (step step; step step). Took all of 3 seconds. (And we were there. So I guess that wasn't our fault either. This is all so liberating).

So. That chapter is over. Lindsey is still taking lessons every week, and there is still no better smell than horse-smell, no better kisses than big flappy heavy lipped horse-slop kisses, no better feeling than being up on that high broad back. But for now, horse-owners we are not. What a whirlwind THAT was! Reminiscent of the Carmen Electra-Dennis Rodman marriage, but w/o the makeup.

(PS: any blogging that will be done from now on will be done over at the mother blog, http://wendyblackburn.blogspot.com/) And I'm going to sleep for the next week solid; I'm drained from it all...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a website called Equine Legal Solutions, and it sounds like you might have a case:

Toll Free: (866) 385-2972
www.equinelegalsolutions.com

At least call them for a consultation. This woman misrepresented her horse and then blamed all the problems on you, and took advantage of your naivety.

IceRyder said...

I'm so sorry to hear about what you all have been through. This situation is not an isolated case in the breed. For some reason, basic training has traditionally not been put on Icelandics because ... well ... it's not so necessary in Iceland (get on, ride straight, stop when the horse hits a wall :-). Breeders and importers following the footsteps of the mother country trainers found it easy to keep a horse in pasture until it was three or four years old, bring it up, throw on a saddle, ride it down the road, and pronounce it good to sell. Lots of profit in those situations (costs are low, not much farrier work, no ground work, no saddle trainers).

The resultant problems have always been blamed on the new owners. Bummer! We have worked for the past dozen years to get this changed and are now seeing some positive things happening.

I'm glad that Tobbi has found a new home! And glad to hear that the girls are still liking horses enough to continue with lessons!

Hugs!

wendy said...

Thanks Judy...It's definitely been a low point for me & my family stress and money-wise...but yes, Tobbi did find a very very good home, and I just have to believe in karma as far as the seller goes, because kindness and integrity don't seem to be her thing (a sane person would not have sold an untrained horse to novice riders, especially at that high of a price, and then knowing full well what she got us in to, not offering a partial refund etc) -- ya live & learn though, and she has taught me a great lesson in not taking people at their word. I just need to get my L.A. native jadedness back : )

Anyway -- thanks for your kind words and down to earth-ness...

horsyone said...

RE: Judy's post.

My experience with Icelandic owners has been somewhat simular.

One Icelandic owner raised the price of the trail horse she was selling because, "it was another year older." Yet nothing had been done with the horse - training or experience wise - in that year. Go figure!?!

Neither horse nor human are necessarily like fine wine. Some people simply don't get that!

So sorry for the harsh experience you and your family have had Wendy. Truely hope it doesn't taint you to all.

Anonymous said...

In a perfect world the seller would give you a partial refund. But some people are crooks and just make a living off ripping people off. I had something like this happen a few years ago -- took the man to small claims court and got back all of my money plus expenses like board and travel! So save all your reciepts! Especially with a child involved...you could sue the pants off this lady, I can assure you: YOU WOULD WIN.

The other things you could do are settle out of court, or like you said about karma: just trust that her reputation will be so trashed by this incident.

I'm sorry for your ordele though. I know what its like.